Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Need advice on getting professional experience in the accounting or finance field?

I am 32 years old. I have decided to go back to college to get a degree in either accounting or finance. I don't have any relavant experience in either field.


I probably will have to work a full time job. Would getting some temp work be helpfully to me. Will the college that I decide to go to allow me to take part and a internship due to my age? Will I have to me a full time student to get and internship?

Need advice on getting professional experience in the accounting or finance field?
If you're going to study accounting and work in public accounting or industry, temp jobs will likely provide you with no relevant experience (these are basically clerical positions now). As soon as you can, get involved in internships or even apply for part-time positions in the field. Public accounting will likely be out of range until you get within a year or so of graduating, but there are tons of industry jobs that could give you great experience working alongside a controller or tax director or something similar.





If your school does not allow you to participate in the internship program because of your age, you seriously need to go to another school because that would be extremely shady. Never worry about your age; I've seen people start fresh in the Big 4 who were much older than you. Granted, it would be much harder for you to make partner (since they're basically forced out in their mid-50s), but who cares, just do what you enjoy and success will come.
Reply:Check out www.universalaccounting.com. You can take the course at home for bookeeping and you will get experience in about 9 different industries. Accounting is the #1 most profitable business, or at least very close depending on what sites you look at. I have a BA in accounting, took the UAC course and had 10 years of experience in the construction industry before starting my own business 3 years ago. Best of luck to you!

lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


finance © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting