Friday, March 12, 2010

Should I switch my undergrad major from finance to accounting?

I currently don't have a job and I'm not seeing many jobs in finance that I'm interested in. Should I get an entry level accounting job and still earn my bachelor's in finance and then earn a master's in accounting? or vice versa? I'm starting to think that I'd rather be an accountant to make a living rather than something in finance.

Should I switch my undergrad major from finance to accounting?
Having a degree in accounting would allow your job market to widen. Every company needs accountants and they want lots of them. My dad majored in accounting and started straight out of college as an accountant for a large company. He now is head of sales and marketing for Europe and Asia as well as helping out the North America division. The options are great for accounting to get you a job right off the bat and to move upward through a company. So I would say go for the accounting degree because you won't need to get a masters to get great work.
Reply:I would absolutely advise you to get your accounting degree and then work toward getting enough hours to sit for the CPA exam. Accounting can be very rewarding from a financial standpoint, and doesn't require the same extra professional school that law and medicine do. I'm not of the opinion that a finance degree would help much if you're headed toward an accounting career.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 


finance © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting